Previously known in the 17th century as Brandon Way, Vicarage Road is one of the quieter roads in an already quiet village. Many of its older houses have front gardens, unlike many of the other properties within the village.
The Vicarage is Georgian and for many years was the home of the Spurgin family who entertained the local well to do with garden and tennis parties. The Spurgins have a number of stained glass windows dedicated to family members in Holy Trinity Church Hockham.
In those days there was a footpath which ran directly from the Vicarage straight through the garden of what is now called Eeyore’s House (a 15th century Hall House and the business of The Village Sign People) through the paddock beyond that was known as Old School Pyghtle to the church. The footpath was officially closed for one day a year so that it didn't ever become a public footpath.
Vicarage Road is the home of Manor Farm, a property which hides its age by some Victorian brickwork.
Home Hall (the first building on the right in the photo below) is the property that was extended and lived in by the local author Michael Home (Christopher Bush), in fact in his novel God and the Rabbit this house is affectionately referred to as 'Corners'.
West Farm now on the Western side of the A1075 was previously the site of a steam mill and in the 1800’s employed up to 70 men and Cherry Tree Farm on the Eastern side of the road was the home of the Bird threshing business and housed the large number of traction engines that Arthur Bird and his family were famous for.
A footpath leaves Vicarage Road just before Manor Farm known as the Pightle, heading North and away from the village.
Vicarage Road is one of the longest village roads albeit now bisected by the A1075 along its western side and continues to Puddledock and beyond, giving an insight into its former name.